Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Moving Right Along

Monday proved no better for the team with a 6-24 loss to Germany 15-15 draw with Serbia and finally 7-23 against Indonesia. This leaves us 50+ behind fourth and possibly out of contention. We book for dinner at an Italian Restaurant +39 (the country code for Italy) which was excellent in both food and decor with a slight demerit for service.

We return to the hotel to be greeted by George Bilski, the Open Team captain and my emotions run from relief to sympathy to embarrassment at handing over the reigns at this desperate stage.

A late night spent training my computer to respond to my wishes (unsuccessfully).

Next morning I wake up early to continue my computer training quest with mild success and then off to an early breakfast where I meet up with Bill Schoder a former Chief Tournament Director for the WBF and now on some of the Laws Committees. An interesting guy, former air force pilot with battle scars of life to match. We discuss the 800 drop in the Dow Jones last night which ended up “ONLY” down 350 and the collapsing Australian Dollar (0.7200).

I have the morning off from my commentating so I decide to “Chef de Mission” and visit the youth venue and players which was good fun. They seem to be enjoying the tournament and hospitality with some amusing stories to go with it. One not so amusing story was a player who highlighted how he was lucky with two compressed boards. In his room he went off one in 4S while at the other table 4SXX made six. The compression was a bad result at both tables instead of costing 12 imps at each table it only cost a combined 16. This happened twice – lucky !!!!!

After sharing lunch with the ‘kids’ I head back to the venue to fulfil my commentating duties for Germany vs USA – something which I expect to be very exciting. And it is. The lead changes hand on each of the first 4 boards and after 5 boards 39 IMPS were traded.

World Champions Meckstroth Rodwell bid to 7C and then this got doubled by somebody holding QJ9 of clubs and it was going one down they ran to 7NT which got doubled for two down. Bad luck the opponents were only in 5C at the other table.

Grand Slam when opponents psyched your suit. You hold

K1098xx
J
AKJx
xx

3C on your left double by partner 3S on your right which you double and then 4C by partner – pretty easy now to Blackwood and bid 7S but at this level not always so easy.

I spend a few moments commiserating with a friend over the state of the world economy and a some more time key-chatting with daughter Danielle who is in Zambia. She complains of her constant tinned tuna, her poor currency decisions and the lack of sushi on her African Safari – wish I had her problems!!!

I check in on the boys who have a good result against Lebanon with perhaps some more to come from an appeal.

Back to the VG for Russia vs Argentina. As I think I noted elsewhere the Russian states are developing quite a bridge reputation so this should be entertaining. Should be could be would be – 4 boards in and nothing nada!!!

More Soon
D

No comments: